Sunday, September 23, 2012

Inspiration and Expectations

I've watched Encounters at the End of the World a handful of times now. If you haven't seen it and want to understand what I'll be doing and seeing, please watch it! It's a great film! Along with Encounters, I've watched all of the Frozen Planet series, and a few other movies about Antarctica; one of my favorites was Secrets Beneath the Ice: Nova. Most of those films include a bit about McMurdo Station, which is where I'll be staying!

In the middle of this amazing fall weather, it's hard to consider that I'll be transported to the bottom of the world and working in -35F weather for a while. It truly feels as if I'm headed to the moon, so foreign, and so hard to wrap my brain around what to expect. The films have helped me understand what I'm getting myself into, and I've also came across a few online blogs from Antarctica grantees talking about their experiences, their favorite cold weather gear, and whatnot.

Aside from the freezing cold weather, I'll also be experiencing 24 hours of daylight for the first time in my life! Just about a week after arriving, the sun will be up all the time.

I can't wait to see what Antarctica is all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment